2 books that I particularly enjoyed in the last year ...

* Peking Diary: (1948 – 1949) A Year of Revolution by Derk Bodde

Diary of a US sinology professor in Beijing when the Communists routed
the Nationalists and the PRC was formed.
More:
http://daariga.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/peking-diary-1948-1949-a-year-of-revolution/

* Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott

A 100-year old book that is still funny today and is a neat
introduction to think in many dimensions (literally).
More:
http://daariga.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/flatland-a-romance-of-many-dimensions/

~ash