I am not an expert in India media, having only worked for a newspaper for a
very brief period of time. At least my paper, I know, writes and deals with
things like police reform. We had a columnist for a while who wrote about this
kind of thing. And we keep writing about it. Do people read about it? I have no
idea. I do not remember being inundated with reader emails or thoughts on the
topic of state reform or police reform in response to these articles. We've
written about the Natgrid, constitution reform and a bunch of other topics.

Do newspapers bring these things up? Yes. Do they bring it up more frequently
than it comes in public discourse? I would think so. Is there a lot of pubic
discourse on these topics? Not in my little experience offline and on.

I don't think newspapers operate in some detached vacuum from what the public
at large is talking about. Or in any case not all of them. I suppose newspapers
should be leading debate on the topics you mention. But if the general traction
for these topics are so low... what do you do?

I am not being rhetorical. I am asking. What do you do?

And I don't think there is deliberate intellectual dishonesty everywhere. I
have never, in my experience, sat through a single editorial meeting and seen a
topic of national relevance being played up or down for dishonest reasons. This
may not be a universal phenomenon.

There is, however, a lot of deliberate opportunism in the business. Some people
only care for what the 'public' cares.

Or maybe I am just writing all this because I yearn to be a decent journalist.

Anyways.

Sidin Sunny Vadukut
London correspondent, Mint - WSJ
www.livemint.com