Nobel laureate, admittedly only for Economics, and also Turing Award
winner, Herb Simon did a lot of research on the attention economy.

The people who should have paid attention, us consumers, didn't - and the
people who did pay attention to his research were the marketers, who did
pay a lot of attention.

Simply put, attention span is limited, and we ought to spend it as
carefully as we spend money. Yet, today when you switch on the TV or enter
a store, your attention is stolen from you.

So too with your smart phone - email notifications, game notifications, IM
notifications and what not you are paying more attention outside than
inside.

No surprise then that the mega store knows more about you than you for the
vast majority who pay no attention to introspection.

Speaking from experience, introspection of the self is one of the most
private, and luxurious acts one can do. It is after all paying attention to
yourself.