On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM, John Sundman <j...@wetmachine.com> wrote:
> I like B. well enough; she's my sister, after all. But sometimes her way of
> speaking really depresses me, because she's not a stupid woman but she is
> capable of very shallow thought, and I believe that thinking and speaking in
> cliches is both a reason for and a symptom of this.

Large organizations abhor non-uniformity; thinking and speaking in
cliches precludes the unpredictability introduced by an individual's
emotions, heritage, learning, cultures and all of that unpredictable
stuff. Not that different from uniforms, bootcamps and ranks used in
armies and prisons to drill out your ego, and give you a new identity
as a member of the team.

The modern organization that places itself beyond the personal sphere
of human society is rather new. A lucid observation point in
historical time for me for this phenomenon is when the British
introduced the organized police and courts in India surprising many of
the locals used to a life more personal.

Once it happened that Mirza Ghalib (1797-1869), the famous Urdu poet
of the sunsetting Mughal empire was brought up on charges of gambling
before a British judge who knew Ghalib perfectly well in social
circles but refused to show any sign of recognition in the court room.
This infuriated Ghalib more than the charges and the fine which he was
ill afforded to pay, and he tells as much in a letter to a friend.

In the Mughal and other Indian courts when a previously honorable man
was brought up on serious charges, his case would be heard with the
respect and decorum it deserved, with full regard to his mental state
and place in society. There was an interest in the truth, and not
merely in evidence. There's little to tell if better justice was meted
out under that system, but an evidence based approach appears fairer
to most, and so that's what we have today, consistent with the belief
that the appearance of justice is as important as justice.

Thinking and speaking in cliches is not therefore an isolated social
twitch privy only to the blackberry generation.