Amen to that post that, Divya.
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

-----Original Message-----
From: Divya Sampath <divyasamp...@yahoo.com>
Sender: silklist-bounces+nikhil.mehra773=gmail....@lists.hserus.net
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 12:01:28
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net<silklist@lists.hserus.net>
Subject: Re: [silk] India's dangerous capitalism

>I actually started reading it then got lost. Does she always write like this?

Yes, she does. Her writing defies parody because really, who could possibly
out-do her own stock of entitled, delusional, condescending, endlessly
recycled, logic-defying, inane rhetoric? The State is evil! Check. Sinister
Global capitalist forces (of Indian origin)! Check. Vast Right-Wing Media
conspiracy! Check.

A few things in the article are worth giggling over - she now describes herself
as part of the Indian middle class. The same middle class that in the world of
Arundhati Roy as recently as last year were 'incredibly hostile, abusive, and
dangerous' to her. Apparently, the pernicious, reality-challenged middle class
in India were a privileged lot who had 'seceded to outer space' and were
disconnected to everything but 'their own andolan, their own Jessica Lal, their
own media, their own controversies'. In other words, people who choose to rally
around anything other than Arundhati's chosen andolans, media and
controversies are detached from reality.
The worst part? She is such a terrible, disingenuous pseudo-intellectual that
it makes me cringe when she espouses a cause that I care about. (It happens
frequently). I'd rather not have my issues advocated for so ineptly.

cheers
Divya