As a USian 'northie' myself, I certainly feel myself to be the object of
resentment and a desire to be reckoned with by the 'southies'.  For example, I
have a cousin who lives in South Carolina and self-identifies as a southerner
who never tires of trying to bait me on Facebook, and so forth. North versus
South is something he thinks about every day, apparently.  So much of
"Southern" culture seems to be predicated on a defiance of the North, an
insatiable need to get under our skin. See, for example "country" music and
evangelical "theology"/ideology/politics. It's filled with defiance and
resentment of values perceived as "northern" -- sophistication, urbanism,
liberalism, irony and self-deprecation, for example.  On the other hand I've
never met a single Yankee similarly obsessed with how we are regarded in the
South.

I think most "northies" have an attitude towards the South that is more like
Rick Blaine's to Ugarte (Humphrey Bogart to Peter Lorre) in Casablanca:

Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

jrs