I agree on the general principle.

But insofar as it applies to Northern & Southern regions of the USA, I would
say it has no bearing.  There is, in some parts of Southern culture, a
persecution complex. That doesn't mean, however, that there is persecution. I
would argue the opposite, actually.

As to Rick and what's-his-name in "Casablanca", sure, Rick has slightly higher
rank. But it's not as if he's a royal or Mitt Romney or something.

jrs