On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:
>> in rich countries. In the end, though, they too will change as the
>> alternatives become normal, and what was once normal becomes quaintly
>> old-fashioned.
>
> It has been quaintly old-fashioned for many years now where I sit.

Renewables don't work when the sun doesn't shine, the wind doesn't
blow or the water doesn't flow - so most of Europe keeps its thermal
capacity critically active (40-50% fuel load) even when there's
renewable energy aplenty. This is a problem that won't be solved until
we can figure out how to store and normalize the energy or cheaply
distribute it.

France does something interesting with spare nuclear power - they pump
water up into mountain dams in Switzerland, and gain back the power on
demand via hydroelectric turbines.