> Welcome, Pooja is always a good season in West Bengal, and that ought to be
> true here, too!
>
> I know your dad as "Nallu", but my delight at the opportunity to get to
> know a child as an adult in her own right doesn't change. Can you tell
> jokkus like your dad does?

Hi Deepa aunty! I remembered later that you know my dad by his home name.
Not yet ... the ones I can tell are his originals, but I'm slowly making up
my own now, which I try out on him.

Welcome Pooja. I too studied architecture -- but only for a while. I
> learned the error of my ways and moved on to serfdom in the IT
> industry. We have, therefore, nothing in common. :-) Welcome,
> nevertheless.
> When I studied architecture I was in the camp that considered
> architecture an engineering problem that included aesthetics as one of
> the requirements to be fulfilled. I annoyed (and was annoyed by) the
> crowd for whom it was Art (with a capital A).
> Where do you place yourself?

The former camp, definitely, Biju. It's why I moved to urban planning,
because all five years of architecture school were a blank in terms of
understanding Art. I felt much more at home in planning school, but also
made some sort of partial peace with architecture somewhere along the way,
which is why I decided I could practise it after all.

If nothing else, I regularly bring back stories such as that of the master
bathroom with two potties (for no other apparent reason except that they
can afford not to share one), or of the client who insisted on beams and
columns being taken off wherever he didn't like them until the structural
engineer gave up and stopped returning calls.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!