Hi Radhika,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 2:22 PM Radhika, Y. <radhik...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It would help first to understand if your concern is in the domain of
> > biology, chemistry or physics.
>
> A:To clarify, I'm mostly concerned about some chemical reaction leading to
> a problem after my son consumes the food. My concern arises from the fact
> that my son has a blood condition of unknown origin (they've never been
> able to figure out why his marrow doesn't produce enough cells of all kinds
> in the blood). They've previously said they suspect it is a reaction to
> something in the environment or an autoimmune reaction to infection by a
> virus at some point before he turned 2. But yes, I want to avoid
> interactions that may affect him. However, your line of questioning does
> show me what an impossible quest it will be to control his entire
> environment. It may even be detrimental.

Thanks for sharing, Radhika. I am sorry about your son's condition. I hope
they can identify a cause, and a cure for it. My wishes for a healthy life
to the little guy.

> > Why do you care if the electrons came from a bat atom or a ball atom?
> > Electrons are supposed to be interchangeable between elements (or rather,
> > by adding or removing electrons (and protons and neutrons) you transform
> an
> > element from one to another).
> >
> A: Haha, yes, I did take into account the fact that electrons are supposed
> to be interchangeable. But again, back to my previous answer, my concerns
> were and are about my son. What I get from this response and from the
> doctors really is that the answers are difficult to isolate in his case.
>

>From what you shared, it would appear that your concern (rightly) is mostly
in the domain of chemistry and biology.

> > Here is my take.... There is a difference between chemicals used as
> > reagents in the process of paper production versus paper products being
> > saturated and emanating these compounds. If it was the latter, hasn't
> food
> > been packaged in paper products for a long, long time? If that was
> causing
> > all kinds of problems wouldn't we have heard of it already?
> A: I don't know how to answer that question. Whether we would hear of it or
> not depends on accountability on so many levels. But yes, lots of time has
> passed using those products. I've read somewhere that nanoparticles of
> plastic have been found in human organs. Of course, I don't know what that
> actually means i.e. can plastic coexist with organic matter without us
> having to worry, etc.

Plastics (micro plastics, and the non-bio-degradable nature of plastics) is
definitely an area of concern for humanity. They have been around for 50-70
years and their effect - especially with vastly widespread use in all kinds
of applications over the last 20-30 years - is not fully understood. Paper
products, IMO, are a much more known quantity.

> > Where do you draw the line with this contamination fear? Are you OK with
> > flour arriving to you in paper bags? How about a loaf of bread packaged
> in
> > paper bags?`
> A: Yes, this is a problem. I seem to have more fear of certain things than
> others. I'm strangely reassured when I see flour in cloth bags although
> those bags could have been in hellish conditions prior to being filled.

In my experience, we come in contact with industrially produced, chemically
altered things everywhere in our lives today. Despite what some of the
fringe corners of the internet say, I know that I cannot fully eliminate
these things from my life. Definitely not at a price that is affordable (in
terms of $$$ or comfort or ease). So what are mere mortals to do? I take
some solace in the fact that when science finds clear evidence of these
harm causing agents (lead in paint and petroleum, CFCs in airconditioners,
etc.)  science/governments step in and take steps to get rid of the harm
causing agent.

Thaths