M. G. Devour wrote:

> In another thread, Doug McMurtrie wrote:
>
> > Mike, that looked like a pretty reasonable protocol to me. The
> > only part that I see needing clarification is the silver wire
> > source. That should be specified with a company name, address, and
> > phone number provided. Everything else should be available at the
> > local Radio Shack.
>
> We could have Marsha supply all of us from her stash. <grin>
>
> When I proposed the design, I considered the purity spec and the
> size/length to be more critical than the composition of the minor
> impurities. If we have a lot of unexplainable variations between
> different people's results, that would remain one of the unknowns
> we'd have to explore.
>
> Everybody using the same wire would eliminate the variable for now,
> but we'd still have to check to see if it is actually a problem
> before we could release the protocol for general use. Couldn't
> afford to have Ma and Pa using a different wire source and getting
> different results without us knowing it.
>
> Good question. I don't have the answer.
>
> Mike D.

Mike & List,

I was informed by my silver supplier that Handy & Harmon, their silver
supplier, lists their Fine Silver as .999 fine, but in fact it is .9999
fine or better - that's all they produce in Fine Silver. Any Wholesale
jewelry supplier getting '.999 fine' silver and getting it from Handy &
Harmon should be providing a very consistant product. (I'm not even sure
who else is producing fine silver in the US now...)

Bruce