The raw diet kills too Terri, if not done properly. I know first had of three very valuable puppies that died at birth due to the mother being offered her choice of foods. I was on all the lists and reading all the websites, that insisted dogs eat what they need when given a choice. I did the right ratios of meaty bones, to organ meats and meaty meats. I also offered her yogurt and cottage cheese as she neared her due date she stupidly "chose" to eat more yogurt than was good for her, the yogurt supplied too much calcium and caused a negative feed back to the Parathyroid Gland that releases the extra push of Ca needed at birth. Also have seen rickets in young dogs -- there are many myths about raw feeding that are passed around by the so called experts and raw feeding lists.

I am so happy for you that it is working out well though and would love to be raw feeder, but after killing some of the best puppies my daughter could hope to produce and breaking her heart, well I will stick with a good quality kibble. There is no 100% guarantee that raw food is not contaminated either. Look at the raw feeders who buy the rankest old cuts of meat at the store and don't even consider the additives and contaminants not to mention bacterial counts and toxins.

Janet

Teri Johnston wrote:

Paula,

It also may have been an overdose of artificial Vit. D according to a lawyer who says the same symptoms animals had that were found in another dog food 2 yrs ago and he is handling the class action suit. The rat poison was only found by the one lab none of the others. I'm so glad I feed my dogs a raw meaty bones diet as do all my puppy buyers.

Teri

Teri Johnston
Fireside Welsh Springer Spaniels
www.welshspringers.com