CWFugitt wrote:
Morning Keith,

>> At 11:32 PM 7/9/2007, you wrote:

You missed a lot of technical messages about all this a few months ago. IF you were using the right mailer or the key MBX format, I would send you many thousands of messages on a CD.

>> My question is this..If the milliamps are so low then why do they recommend 27 to 31vdc? I can get the same milliamps using a 6volt 300milliamp transformer as I can with the 30volt 1000milliamp transformer. What am I missing with the voltage issue?

You need to understand that 1 ma at 6 volts is not then same as 1 ma at 12 volts, 18 volts, 24 volts or 52 volts.

This applies not only to CS but to all circuits. It is a basic fact of Ohms Law and understanding power ( or Wattage ).

No power, no watts, no work. You could think of it as a measurement of the work done in any circuit. In time, I think you will understand it better.

I mentioned "Wattage Factor" a few years back, and no one said a single word. Within the last year, one or two of the list experts agreed with me.

There is a wattage factor being dissipated in your CS batch.
It varies with both current and voltage. And the conductivity ( or resistance )
of the batch.

Apply 100 VDC to 1 ma and see what happens. The batch will complete much faster. This is not usually the goal, especially for the beginner.

At a later time, when you may make a gallon at a batch, it becomes more important.

At 6 volts, 1 ma ( .001 )  is .006 watts
At 52 Volts, 1 ma ( ,001 ) is .052 watts
So, you see the difference.

You might as well go ahead and study Ohms Law a little or you will continue to remain confused. <grin>

There are lots of more technical stuff relating to the weight of the silver added to the water that you will become interested in later.

You must consider that our lists largest silver maker uses 100 VDC or maybe it is 110 VDC. He does not do this just because he likes round numbers.

You will get another answer or two that may explain this better for you than I did.

Actually, I think you could use from 1 VDC up to 100, 200, or more.

The key is how you harness this power and not allow it to take control of the batch. Likely the current limiting diodes you use will work with a range of voltage.

Of course I do not want a constant current device because the LED will not work and tell me the things that it does if the current varies.

The key is limiting the maximum current and not getting a "run away" batch.
I don't recall ever doing this and ruining a batch with over current.

Of course a circuit could be made to limit the current high, but not during the batch. It could also serve as an automatic cut off.

Never fear,  mans hands can make anything his mind can dream up.

My goal one day if to build a computer controlled CS system that prints a log every minute or even every 30 seconds, and displays the progress, and all data on the screen.

Likely it would be no better than I make with a cheap CS generator.

Remember,  Mans mind is a fantastic control system within itself.
Of course it has to be trained and programmed a bit.

Wayne

The real question to me is this: If you start with 6v and 1ma CC, do you produce the same quality cs as a system using 30+ volts and the same CC? Assume here we stop at the same conductivity. Are the particles smaller? Is more silver oxide generated using lower voltage. My guess is that the quality is better with the higher voltage. The particles are smaller and less oxides.Has anyone specifically experimented with these ideas?

Fred