From "DMSO Nature's Healer" by Dr. Morton Walker 1993

INJURIES OF THE BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD

An important possible advance in the prevention of paralysis after injuries to the brain and spinal cord, DMSO is being studied for this purpose at four centers of learning. One of them is the University of Miami School of Medicine, where Jack C. de la Torre, M.D., is Associate Professor of Neurosurgery and Psychiatry and Chief of the Department of Neurological Research. By 1992, he had been working with the compound for about twelve years. Dr. de la Torre first illustrated his findings at a November 1980 scientific conference of the DMSO Society of Florida, Inc. held in Sarasota, Florida.

Studying monkeys that were given an occlusion of the middle cerebral artery, the blood vessel in the brain that controls motor function, Dr. de la Torre prevented their paralysis by dosing them with DMSO. The DMSO-treated monkeys didn't suffer from the severe neurological damage from cerebral stroke that would occur if they were left untreated or were treated with corticosteroids, the current conventional treatment. Stroke, which causes half a million deaths or more each year among Americans, is the second most common cause of death from cardiovascular disease. There are many facets to the pathologic process- pressure, lack of oxygen, inadequate blood flow, release of enzymes- and DMSO is well equipped to arrest them. The DMSO must be administered within four hours to be effective, and within ninety minutes is best, reports Dr. de la Torre. I provide a full discussion of his DMSO research with head and spinal cord injuries in Chapter 9.

At the University of Oregon Medical School where Dr. Jacob works, intravenous DMSO was given to patients following severe head injury. For a group of patients receiving barbiturates and mannitol, brain pressure remained elevated. When 40 percent DMSO was administered (one gram of DMSO per kilogram of body weight) the pressure came Down to normal within three to five minutes. Barbiturates and mannitol. are at present considered the best available treatment in traditional medicine for such brain injuries, but DMSO proved better, said Dr. Jacob in an interview.

In separate animal studies with cats, rats, and dogs done at three universities, DMSO given intravenously to the spinal cords of the animals within an hour of injury brought about reversal of the injuries, which ordinarily would have been irreversible.

"We have had experience at our medical school in Oregon with two Patients in which DMSO was given as early as an hour after what was considered an irreversible injury-an immediate, complete quadraplegia- and in both people there was total recovery with them walking out of the hospital,” said Dr. Jacobs. For optimal therapeutic effect it is considered critical to give DMSO intravenously within ninety minutes of a head injury.

“Since the grey matter of the brain seems to deteriorate after an injury, at least in experimental subjects, DMSO has to be given very quickly. Every emergency room and every ambulance should carry it. For paralysis, the drug should be administered in the dosage of one gram per kilogram of body weight. Forty percent concentration for paralysis is recommended even though it extends the bleeding time, Dr. Jacobs said. “We have had three patients come into our medical center paralyzed after injury: one five hours, a second six hours, and the last nine hours. Historically, we thought their chances of recovery were just about zero. Two of those three are now walking as a result of our administering IV DMSO despite the time being beyond an hour-and-a-half of the injury.” The Douglass Center recommended, and Dr. de la Torre concurred, that 2 grams per kilogram patient body weight should be given for the first dose in these trauma cases.

HEMORRHAGIC STROKE AND HEAD WOUNDS

Even though 40 percent DMSO does cause a prolongation of bleeding time, it is still indicated for use in treating embolic or hemorrhagic stroke. Hemorrhagic stroke is the rupture of a weakened blood vessel in the brain often causing headache, nausea, and ringing in the ears just before the onset of this type of cerebral vascular accident. Embolic stroke is the plugging of a vessel by a clot.

DMSO is superior to any other treatment for high velocity missile wounds of the brain where a great deal of hemorrhage is present. The key to success with DMSO for hemorrhagic stroke or any other problem, as has been shown, is to use it as soon as possible after the stroke or head wound occurs. The healing qualities of DMSO work to bring the injured tissues back to normal. See Chapter 9 and Appendix I for more extensive information on DMSO's use in embolic and hemorrhagic stroke.

BRAIN-DAMAGED CHILDREN

DMSO has been useful in cases of mental retardation and Down's Syndrome. As a penetrant it carries drugs across the blood-brain barrier, always a major problem in treating the brain. It has also been used to combat certain forms of psychosis.

Brain-damaged children are given oral DMSO in 50 percent strength . It's especially advantageous for impaired babies, who are provided with a quantity of one half of a gram per kilogram by mouth. Efficacy will be noticed by the child's parents, although measurable changes may not reach the level of statistical significance for the person administering therapy. A cholinesterase inhibitor, the drug may stimulate central nervous system transmission, which is certainly worth a try even over several years to restore a brain-damaged child.

See Chapter 10 for greater detail on the response to DMSO therapy of children with mental retardation, Down's syndrome, and learning difficulties.

joe bloggs wrote:
Does anyone here know of a treatment for brain injuries? My 21 year old son was involved in a terrible accident in the early hours of Saturday morning and has had two operations and is in a coma, on life support. I don't know whether to pray for his death or his life because I don't know the quality of life expected - nobody knows. If anyone has any information, please share it. Thank you.
Frankie