--On 20 September 2007 07:04:33 -0400 Simon Jester <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

This statement is only true *if*:

1. The one doing the making is *skilled* at cultivating them (some are
easy, some are not)

2. Knowledgable in when and how to harvest them (time, which parts are
used, different parts mature at different times, etc)

3. Knowledgable in how to make the tincture

Most people are totally deficient in the first two, so, your statement is
generally FALSE.

THat is quite true. BUt then again it is time they learnt! I would say it takes a couple of years to do two or three, two growing seasons to learn much, and the then refine beyond. Selection of seed is one hurdle in the 1st point. BUt, if you get local there are advantages. PLus re-seeding from your own seed is very promising , interms of local adaptation of the plant.

SO far as buying plant material. Dried herbs are very good. IN drying, the cell structure does not collapse, the cell walls dry out (unlike in frozen foods). SO much of the whole plant remains, without adverse chemical changes. Some of the more aromatic esters may be lost. The advantages in dried herbs include, being able to use the herb out of season in a hyrdo-soloution, without using alcohol, which is not always preferred.

And there are excellent sources, including wild harvests in mountainous areas etc... some of which offer particularly good properties in the given herb. Clary sage would be an example.

John.

SO start, because one day the whole planet will again be populated with home gardens, and we can enjoy such things and benefit by them, the soil will be good etc...We cannot rely upon one company , Dr Shulze to do it for the whole world! THough, from what I remember when I visited his/her site, I was impressed with the aims and care offered, though I haven't triied them, they certainly know what it takes: I haven't seen better Mission statements concerning similar, although some I read hinted as much , but were based in other countries with more focus on the traditional medicine. These also had their own gardens and wild herbs, traditionally cultivated by the herbalist.

JOHN