Simon Jester wrote:
There aren't many vaccines I would take nowdays, but back in the day, I suppose smallpox and polio vaccines were useful.

No - pure propaganda/myth.

You don't see crippled people nowdays like there used to be from
polio.

The fact is, the incidence of polio was already on the downswing when the vaccine was introduced... see here:

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/polio.htm
That it is on the downswing is not surprising since it seems that polio was a contamination of the smallpox vaccination, and only became endemic after the smallpox vaccine was introduced.

Marshall