Hi. Just dropping a quick note to say hello and get off to a bad start by asking awkward questions....

I've been playing with simple "colloidal" silver makers based on .999 silver rods with a single PP3 9V cell and a resistor and high sensitivity LED in series. I've had to make do with tap water since getting distilled water is surprisingly difficult in Scotland where our tap water is one of the purest available, and thus bottled water has the same status as a bottle of cola. (Just a handy drink.)

The results have been the fine mist of ionic silver and the inevitable darkening of the fluid over time as the ionic silver bonded with the tiny amount of chlorine and nitrates present in the water.

Last night I stumbled across the technique of using AC to make a less ionic solution and promptly built a new version that is powered by a 24Vac wall wart connected to the electrodes via a 1k resistor and two LEDs in inverse parallel so they both light on the AC and don't rectify the supply.

I left it on all day today and the water shows no sign of the usual misting from the electrodes and has remained absolutely clear. A test with the resistive style dissolved solids tester showed that water from the tap had 40ppm impurities while the treated water was identical. Hmmmm.

A test with a fairly high output green laser showed fresh water had little absorption, but the treated water had quite a strong line and sparkle to it suggesting that there is some form of silver going into the liquid.

Is 50Hz too high a frequency for the preparation of colloidal/ionic silver?

Any comments would be appreciated.

I wish there was an easy way to get a genuine measurement of the amount of colloidal and ionic silver present in a solution.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com