One of the things I couldn't quite fathom in North Wales was seeing milk
bottles left at the farm gate - the farmers were BUYING milk off the milkman.
I thought at the time it was just convenience - never thought there might be
more to it.  My uncle and aunt had Jersey cows, and she used to make wonderful
butter.  No more. It became impossible to buy new gaskets for the beautiful old
wooden milk churn that my grandmother used to use.  They buy butter in town.
There used to be refreshing, tart buttermilk left over from the churning to
drink, make into pancakes, or pour over hot potatoes with pepper and salt
("tatws llaeth"). Just memories now.  Progress.
Progress to what, exactly?

  Yep - it's illegal here in Scotland and impossible to obtain. It really
annoys me. It's someting I'd love to try.