my RO system was an old 3-stage (pre-sediment, RO membrane, post-carbon
block)
i spent twice as much money upgrading it to 6-stage as it would've cost to
buy a complete new 6-stage system shipped.  i didn't notice that until all
the stuff was ordered... i had no idea water filters had turned into such a
big area on ebay and that prices had tumbled since the mid 90's.

the inline DI cartridges are refillable, and can easily be added to a RO
system.
there's sellers offering the plastic things that clip the 2" cartridges
together and onto the 2.5" RO membrane housing...

buying multiple items from the same seller usually cuts shipping a lot.

make sure the cartridges or housings have fittings to connect 1/4" tubing,
or order them.  the kind that the tubing just pushes in seem to work fine.

ebay:

refillable 10" cartridge for DI, GAC, KDF, or whatever  250227419243
another, cheaper 360035550981
goes into a standard 10" filter housing.

DI resin to fill it up:  260221870886

the purolite refillable inline cartdridges  160106267362
don't know what the difference is except $3 less for this one (same seller)
160106267350