http://www.ipej.org/0404/mallela.pdf

(there you go, Wayne, I made the message consistent with the subject line)

Dave

At 08:06 PM 5/8/2008, you wrote:
I don't think the stuff in Celtic sea salt is any big deal, especially where so much of the stuff is found commonly in other foods. Faith G.

----- Original Message ----- From: "sol" <sol...@sweetwaterhsa.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: CS>Pacemaker - Salts good and bad

Here you are..............I could not find my saved link re nickel content of (celtic) sea salt, or it might have been realsalt. Thought it was celtic, but now I can't find it to refer to???
All of this was found by googling, btw

http://www.curezone.com/foods/salt/Celtic_Sea_Salt_Analysis.asp
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/12/anglesey_sea_sa.php
Unfortunately, what often gets omitted in mention of trace minerals are the minerals you don't want in your salt, such as natural trace levels of lead, mercury, and arsenic.

Natural lead and arsenic levels are not what concern me since they are miniscule: mercury is present in sea water in no small amount however. The oceans have a natural level of mercury that can potentially become dangerous when concentrated in such forms as sea salt.
http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=723128
http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/content.cfm?series=3&item=286&Parents=0%7C28

http://www.healthfree.com/celtic_sea_salt.html (the whole table didn't copy into this email)
TABLE 1 - Comparing Celtic Natural Gray Sea Salts to Boiled Mexican SaltMineral French Celtic Mexican Boiled
Magnesium    1.00%    0.1%
Manganese     .01     .0001
Boron    .001    .0001
Copper    .001    .0001
Silicon    .01    .001
Iron     .1    .01
Nickel     .0001    .0001
Moisture-% By Weight    5.79    0.31
The Proven Facts About Salt

Public health policy should be guided only by proven facts. Current scientific research reveals that there are actually very few salt-related health problems. Sodium, in the form of sodium chloride, plays an important part in the primary processes of digestion and absorption. Salt activates the first enzyme in the mouth, salivary amylase. At this stage, sodium exposes food to the tastebuds -a reason why food has always been salted "to taste"- it also helps start digestion by breaking down food. In the parietal cells of the stomach wall, sodium chloride generates hydrochloric acid, one of the most important of ail digestive secretions.

If potassium is in excess in relation to sodium, the body's enzyme pathway loses its ability to produce hydrochloric acid. Thus most diets, but especially vegetarian and grain diets, require slightly more salt in order to prevent an excess of potassium over sodium. With salt present, the acidity of the partially digested food is able to trigger off some needed natural sodium bicarbonate, derived from the supply of sodium chloride, as well as enzymatic and bile secretions from the gall bladder and pancreatic ducts. Without salt no digestion is possible.

In illnesses such as diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, kidney or gastrointestinal disorders, or any time there has been surgery or other significant fluid losses triggered, the requirement for an abundant supply of salt is vital for survival. A certain amount of extra salt ration at that crucial time has often been the factor that has saved lives.
HTH,
google for more if you have the patience and interest
sol

P.S. In this search I ran across claims of benefit for seasalt and claims of "toxicity" of refined table salt (with or without additives) but once again never saw any actual double blinded clinical studies, though it is claimed that "scientific studies" exist, I didn't see actual references to any such published studies, perhaps I didn't look far enough.

Faith Gagne wrote:
Sol, where di d you get the information that Celtic sea salt contains aluminum and heavy metals. Can you give us a link? Thanks so much. Faith G.