Thank you for taking the trouble to reply in depth Steve, I do appreciate it and I did actually understand most of what you say <<lol>> I have decided to stick with the normal running time which seems to be making good CS - unless of course, I'm pushed for time. Thanks to all who offered help. dee

Norton, Steve wrote:

Dee
To a large extent I am like Wayne. I just can't make CS without a meter to measure voltage and current. However, unlike Wane I would supplement my DIY rig with a commercial unit. There are times when I would like the "Fire and Forget" operation of a commercial unit. From what I have read on the manufactures web sites and comments from users in this forum I think they do a really good job. But for people like Wayne and myself they don't provide all the flexibility and onitoring visibility we like. (I would probably modify it to let me measure current flow though) The more you learn about making CS the more you see the tradeoffs you make when you do things to vary brew time or ppm strength. And the tradeoffs don't always have a good/bad threshold but are better/not better results and so the tradeoffs you make are personal decisions you make based on what you know (or what you think you know) and what end result you desire. So we can't give you a definitve answer to seeming simple questions that are asked here.