Hi Steve Norton,
 
Just a brief comment (for me)
 
"Before you open the microwave, let it set for 2 to 3 days unplugged to 
discharge the capacitors. BTW, TVs also have a high voltage capacitor on the 
versions with a picture tube."
 
Uplugged Television Capacitors can carry High Voltage charges for longer than 
several days. As everyone may know, the first use of Capacitors was to store 
Electricity. I would worry about the Microwave Caps, too, although I haven't 
worked on any.
 
Not all TVs and I can only guess Microwaves or not as the case may be have 
bleeder resistors across the high voltage capacitors to discharge them. 
 
Unfortunately Consumer Grade Appliances are dollar driven designs. 
 
A manufacture will leave out parts (sometimes call Munzting) to save a 
pittance.  I can and have purchased resistors at a fraction of a penny for 
manufacturing. Bean Counters working for Mass Market Manufacturers seem to have 
more control in industrial design than engineers. That fraction of a penny 
multiplied by 500,000 parts comes to $3,500 at the end of the year for one 
design alone. In other words to save a few dollars, manufactures will omit 
parts that would make a design safer. They have consistently done this unless 
required by regulatory statute for safety concerns.
 
When I work on anything with high voltage caps, I discharge them use using a 
"Snuffer Stick" (It has a 200K, 2 watt resistor in series with the nose probe 
and ground wire to large clip for ground on the other) and then use clip leads 
on the caps to ground. 
 
I haven't worked on Microwaves and bow to your experience in this area.  I 
wouldn't have them in my house for years.  I remember all the Pacemaker 
warnings. 
 
Best Regards,
 
Steve Foss