I like your ideas. Maybe a numbering system where each individual number
addresses different factor like the numbers in an MSDS.
 - Steve N

----- Original Message -----
From: M. G. Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Mon Jul 13 15:34:56 2009
Subject: Re: CS>How to tell Stage I argyria from Stage III argyria

> How about something for argyria like:
> *     Stage I - Argyria is localized to light browning of the gums or
> light browning of the skin exposed to sunlight
> *     Stage II - Argyria is localized to fingernails or a slight
> coloring of the eyes.
> *     Stage III - Argyria is also localized to the face and neck as a
> blue/grey color or a significant darkening of eyes.
> *     Stage IV - Argyria is generally spread throughout the body or a
> near or total darkening of eyes.

I think it would be better to standardize a classification system,
rather than trying to define "stages?" That presumes that you're
talking about a progressive phenomenon, which is not necessarily the
case.

Some reasonable distinctions:

General / localized:

   Overall or large areas of coloration, versus specific areas such
   as fingernail moons, conjunctiva, <name area here>.

   E.g., Generalized argyria of the face and hands; Localized
   argyria of the tongue...

Source of exposure:

   Pharmaceutical, occupational, environmental, dietary,
   self-medication.

Type of exposure:

   Systemic from ingestion or inhalation; localized discoloration
   due to tatooing of skin from direct contact or staining from salts.

Intensity and/or impact:

   Mild: minimal coloration, not easily noticeable; does
   not interfere with daily life

   Moderate: readily visible coloration; some effect on activity,
   lifestyle, relationships, personal well-being.

   Severe: Intense coloration, significant disfigurement; serious
   impact on lifestyle, relationships, employment, and well-being.

... dunno. I'm sure it can be made better, but those are the kinds of
things that make sense to me.

> Does anyone else think that this might be better than the current
> single declaration of argyria? Any suggestions for improvement?

I'm not sure that there is a "current single declaration of argyria?"
Don't most descriptions of the condition list some of the
characteristics of each case since there are so many variations?
Certainly in the medical literature they use some of the descriptive
phrases I suggested above?

Be well,

Mike D.