Dear Dan,

You write:
> Saying "You're full of crap about this one" is not an ad hominem
> attack.  It equivalent to saying "You are absolutely mistaken about this
> one"...  It is not saying that 'I don't believe you because you're full
> of crap.'  Admittedly, it is somewhat rude, but not outside of normal
> usage - in some circles.

I suppose, technically, it isn't ad hominem, merely rude. Point for
you. <grin>

It certainly serves the purpose of lowering the focus of the discussion
from the topic at hand to personalities and egos, however, wouldn't you
say?

> The comment about me working for Arm and Hammer as a paid shill,
> implying that I only take that position because I'm a supposed paid
> shill, *is* an ad hominim attack.

Agreed. If one felt mischeivious, one could ask John if *he* holds
stock in that other brand of baking soda... But I presume he doesn't
and I won't. <wink>

> So, I would have to say that you are half right, and that you are half
> full of crap about that one...  (This is a joke, by the way... ;-))

Hey, I'm always at risk of making a mistake in this job... That's why
they pay me th big bucks! <LOL>

Mike D.