Actually, the red soils in SC and NC where much of the tobacco is grown [and from which bricks are made] often has a high natural Radon content and certain plants have a tendency to absorb certain things..like water hyacinth tends to absorb heavy metals from waste water. Radon gas detectors are very common in homes around here..and basements in newish homes, rare. Radon is a colorless, odorless gas and radioactive element. It is one of the heaviest room temperature gases on Earth. It is a radioactive decay product of radium.

If you've ever checked red brick or a hunk of Granite with a Geiger counter, you'd know something about natural radiation.
Did you know that a granite building is deemed unsafe for 24 hour habitation?
Regarding depleted uranium: It's no more hazardous to touch than lead. What little radiation it does emit is of a very low energy. A marble floor or granite counter top could pose a greater radiological hazard. Granted, like most other heavy metals it is toxic. You don't want to breath it or swallow it

Since when do uranium tailings have any nitrogen in them?
Who goes way the heck out into the stinkin desert to transport what can lay there forever if they don't have to?

The production of synthetic ammonia fertilizer currently consumes about 5% of global <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas>natural gas consumption, which is somewhat under 2% of world energy production.

The "radiation" source is already here and isn't "added"...no need to import it...and so much for "journalisms" warped attempt to vilify tobacco producers and propagandize smokers once again. If any radioactive thing is "sprayed" onto that crop, it comes from muddy irrigation ponds. [and of course, no substitute for local water has been found ]

..might want to take a peak what  else is a bit radioactive.

Brazil Nuts are much more radioactive than bananas.
Your smoke detector emits more radiation than 2000 bananas.

Ode