  From: Nenah Sylver
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:33 AM
  Subject: CS>question about glycerin for you chemists

  I have a question about glycerin, an oil-like substance made from vegetable
oil and the byproduct of soap making. Many soap makers remove the glycerin and
put it into hand creams because of its moisturizing properties.

  My question relates to the activity of the glycerin versus coconut or any
other cooking (edible) oil.

  If I put coconut oil or sesame oil onto my skin, the oil will soak through
the skin and get into the bloodstream and the body will process it as it does
any other fat that has been eaten.

  Will the body do the same thing with the glycerin? Or is glycerin -- despite
its oily consistency -- even considered an oil/fat in the way that the terms
"oils" and "fats" are commonly used?

  This is very important to me, so I'd appreciate your responses.

  Thanks in advance.

  Nenah