Dear Lois,
Please forgive my tardiness in answering your email, I have many excuses....but
none justifiable----excepting senility
and "too many irons in-the-fire" simultaneously.
       There are, probably, other agents we could have used instead of
glycerin/glycerol.....but most had compromising
characteristics.....which eliminated them.  Without belaboring the point
excessively, I offer----we desired a useful,non-toxic substance which was water
soluble (and thus very agreeable with DMSO).
Coconut oil, olive oil, etc., are not good choices for this reason.
Additionally, coconut oil solidifies at about 77 degrees F.----making it
unusable at room temperature (in this senario.), and neither coconut oil, olive
oil or sesame oil are water soluble---in their unmodified state.
        Actually, glycerin/glycerol is a saponified member of the organic
alcohol family [....actually a triglyceride], called glycerol in its liquid
state and glycerin in its more solidified state.
        Glycerol/glycerin is quite easily absorbed into the the external skin
tissues and furnishes excellent transfer characteristics.  Uncombined, it does
provide a drying effect on moisture-laddened tissue.
         The oils you suggest will, indeed, penetrate the skin....although MUCH
SLOWER than the mixture we employed.
Additionally, if you used the coconut oil or sesame oil they would impede the
absorption of the DMSO-entrained CS
solution .....simply because they are antagonistic to water.
         Glycerol/glycerin has demonstrated to be quite non-toxic (in our
evaluations) and has performed (for us)
quite satisfactorily.  At least in this application.
          In answer to your question relative to the absorption of
glycerin/glycerol through the skin.....it would,
normally, be quite rapidly absorbed as a standalone.....as a component of our
protocol, the speed of cross-tissue transfer is greatly accelerated (by almost
an order of magnitude>. The hygroscopic nature of glycerin does not compromise
this protocol simply because of the large volumetric component of the colloidal
silver solution.
          I hope these statements have been of value to you.
                             Sincerely, Brooks.
p.s.  I am a great fan of unmodified coconut oil....for multiple reasons, but
lauric acid, alone, would justify its use as a nutritional/health supplement.