Hello Marshall,

You are correct in that the concentration of chlorous acid is dependent upon
the PH of the final solution, but the break down actually takes place over
several hours.  There is no method of measuring chlorine dioxide in the
blood, because it doesn't last long enough to make it into the blood stream.
Chlorite can be measured, and it does make it into the blood stream, along
with all the organs of the body.

The overlooked factor is the chlorous acid.

Chlorous acid is a biostat.  It can result in a 1/2 - 1 log reduction in
pathogens, but its intended use is to stabilize the growth of pathogens.
Chlorine dioxide, on the other hand, is a biocide that is capable of a 5 - 6
log reduction of pathogens.  Since chlorine dioxide is almost immediately
converted to chlorite, it may be the chlorite that is doing the work...

Chlorous acid has been studied on meat and poultry carcasses, but not in
humans.  The concentration of chlorous acid is limited to the amount that
doesn't cause bleaching.  Animal studies seem to indicate that about 70% of
the chlorine dioxide breaks down to chlorite, about 30% of a dose is
absorbed into the body, and the half life of chlorite is a little over 40
hours.  The chlorite is mostly eliminated through urine.  I believe the
absorption relates both to chlorite from chlorine dioxide and chlorite from
sodium chlorite.

When sodium chlorite is activated by the stomach acid, it allows a higher
percentage of the solution to be available to be absorbed.  When you
activate it before taking it, some of the available chlorine dioxide is
released as free chlorine dioxide which leaves less available chlorine
dioxide in the solution.  If the problem is up high in the GI tract,
activation before ingestion makes sense.  However, if the problem is lower,
activation within the stomach may deliver more to the problem area.

Chlorous acid has been studied and successfully used in oral health
products, unactivated.  This, along with the successes of the so called
"stabilized oxygen" products, leads me to think that there may actually be
something going on when you circulate sodium chlorite in the body and let it
activate inside.

I am not sure this process will ever be formally studied because of the
effect of chlorite on blood cells, but there is always hope.

Tom