Mary Ann,

You asked for ideas so here are ours.  We care and ask you to keep us posted.

When my father showed similar behaviors, it was seizure related and it
took careful recording of observations to alert the docs and get them on that
seizure trail.  Daddy's electrolytes were also  WAY out of whack which is all
the docs saw initially.   Daddy was very open about the double vision,
forgetting, loss of years of memory, nausea, hearing changes, taste in his
mouth, etc AT THE TIME IT WAS HAPPENING but then forgot those symptoms as soon
as they were not present.  It took our recording him verbatim to get to the
root of his problem.

I would wonder about blood sugar and  nutrition in general as seizure meds can
cause deficiencies, but I do not remember what, but I am sure the docs have
checked all that.  Is he taking any nutrients and if so what and how much and
when did he start them?  Is his diet poor and would a bioavailable
vitamin/mineral be a possibility - only with doctor's approval.

Were any of his meds changed before the Father's Day episode? Even months
before?

Does he take his meds on his own or is he in an environment that would help him
remember to take them correctly and on schedule?

If he is having this big a memory issue, chances are that he is also messing up
with his med dosing.

My hubby will revert to old dosage and old schedule when he gets really tired
and I have to watch that for him.  Is there anyone to help verify that
your brother is taking his seizure meds timely and correctly?

 Is alcohol in the mix here?  OTC meds?  Possible drug interaction with other
meds changed before Father's Day?  Heavy smoking thus lower blood oxygen
levels?  The blood levels of the medications are a place to start, but if he
skips and makes up doses and then cannot remember to take doses it would play
havoc with the brain signals.

Hubby is asking if brother is depressed, lonely, suffers from apathy or
anxiety?  Does he sleep well - too little or too much?  With this starting in
summertime and it still being so hot, does brother drink enough water?  If he
drinks enough water, does he maybe get drink  too much water ?

Age?

We are praying the cause of this memory problem can be identified and treated
with good results.  In the meantime it sounds like brother needs family or
caregivers in the picture for his health and safety as well as the safety of
others.

Has brother has had any high neck injury or problem - like a whiplash?   Have
you tried chiropractic adjustment - by a GOOD chiropractor?

Just brain storming here - as I would for my own family member.  These are just
questions that may have already all been explored, but manybe not.

Blessings to you and brother and Mom, from Leon and Paula

"MaryAnn Helland" <marmar...@bellsouth.net>

To:
silver-list@eskimo.com

My brother is in trouble.  On Father's Day, he wanted to call my Dad and wish
him a happy day -- my Dad died in 1996.  Recently, he (brother) was on his way
to a location very near where he lives -- and ended up in a town four towns
away.  On Tuesday night of this week, he called my Mom and asked her "Mom, is
my Dad dead?  When did he die?"  So he is having serious memory issues, both
recent and distant memory is involved.

Of course, he's seeing doctors and being tested, and they don't know what's
going on with him.  He's been tested for Alzheimers, and they tell him he
doesn't have it.  The doctors also tell him that this is not seizure-related --
my brother is an epileptic, and his seizures are controlled by medication.
He's had brain scans and MRI's and no abnormalities are found.  They did find a
small, non-malignant tumor on the brain, behind his left ear, but told him that
is not life-threatening and is not involved in the memory issues.

So -- does anyone have any ideas about what could be going on with him?  Any
help will be appreciated.
MA