> I'm guessing people might be busy with the holidays right now, but I
> need some information quickly. Do any of you good folks have access to
> studies showing that colloidal silver does NOT kill beneficial bacteria?

Dear Nenah,

I won't be able to give you any scholarly citations, but I'll happily
recap the consensus opinion...

As far as we know, silver will kill any bacterium, regardless of cell
morphology, if it gets into contact with it.

The only known exceptions to this are strains of bacteria that have
been detected near silver deposits in the ground -- and *they* lose
their adaptation to high-silver environments within a very few
generations of removal from those conditions. It's not a true
resistance.

The important word in the first paragraph is, 'contact.' The silver has
to be able to reach the pathogen in order to kill it. In a liquid
medium, silver performs superbly against all types, while in a solid or
semi-solid medium, kill rates and percentages will be much lower to
negligible unless very large amounts are used.

An example of this was early confusion over why agar-plate tests tended
to show spotty results. When the tests were repeated using nutrient
broth as a medium, silver performance was consistently superb.

The idea that silver spares "good bacteria" is, I believe, an attempt
to explain observed performance that falls short of identifying the
actual mechanism of action...

The intestines and colon are filled with faeces that is generally not
in a liquid state. Mobility is normally low. Silver that makes it into
the gut, either passing through without having been absorbed, or being
excreted via the liver, does not have the opportunity to reach the
entire volume of the medium and tends to kill at much lower rates.

On the other hand, in conditions such as food poisoning or dysintery,
when bowel contents are in fact liquid, one can achieve very good kill
rates and overall performance, resulting in a rapid cure.

I can personally attest to the fact that if you take enough CS to
overwhelm the friendly flora it *will* kill it! During one episode, I
had been taking very large doses of CS for a number of days. I began to
suffer extensive, bone-deep aches and pains throughout my major muscle
groups, going so far as to threaten my ability to walk.

When I discovered that my symptoms were identical to acute calcium
deficiency and that calcium absorption is facilitated by the normal
bacterial flora in the intestines, I resolved my problems within an
hour or two by taking a bio-available calcium supplement. I then
proceeded to rebuild my flora and fully recovered.

So, when you're sick, with "bad" bugs in the gut, CS is able to get to
them to kill them. When you're healthy, any reasonable dose of CS will
be sufficiently immobilized in the semi-solid medium of normal bowel
contents so as to be relatively ineffective in attacking the "good"
bugs. Thus, you have the appearance of CS favoring one kind of bacteria
over another.

But, take enough CS to kill 'em despite the mobility issue, and the
"good bugs" will be destroyed just as effectively, with the same
potential for complications that always accompany the over-use of anti-
microbials.

I don't personally know whether there is *some* difference in kill
rates between bacteria with different cell wall types, or any other
distinctions, either, but I believe such effects are far outstripped by
the question of mobility and ability to contact the pathogen.

I hope that explanation is persuasive. Perhaps other members have some
references at hand as well.

Peace,

Mike D.

Archives: