On 9/8/2011 5:55 PM, David AuBuchon wrote:
Okay, I think I see...it's not a function of diameter but rather size and configuration of atoms.
It is a function of size, which of course the diameter is as well. The larger the particle, the longer the wavelength light it absorbs. Now if you have a spherical particle, or one as close to spherical as possible with the number of atoms in it, it will have a sharp absorption band, since the resonance will be the same across any of its diameters. But if you have one which is longer then it is wide, or irregularly shaped, then the resonance across the minimum "diameter" will be a shorter wavelength than across its maximum "diameter" and everything in between between those two wavelengths. Thus a particle that is not completely symmetrical will not have a sharp absorption resonance, which is why after 4 atoms, it all smears out into a broad curve.

Marshall