Hi Marshall,
I think this whole myth began when some baking POWDERS had alumina sulfate.

Be well,
Léna
On May 21, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Marshall wrote:

Bicarbonate of soda is a chemical, and a very cheap one at that. It is NaHCO3. If it contains anything else, it is mislabeled and subject to prosecution by the FDA. I don't know where this rumor came from that it would contain anything else, certainly not alumina sulfate which would be an expensive ingredient that would ruin the product. The test for aluminum sulfate is to mix it with sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, or sodium bi-carbonate. If aluminum sulfate is there it forms a white precipitate and produces CO2. So, if it is there, all you have to do it mix it with water, and it will foam producing carbon dioxide, and a white precipitate forms. I have mixed A&H with water many times and no CO2 or precipitate is formed, thus there is no aluminum sulfate in there.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sodium_bicarbonate_or_baking_soda_contain_aluminum

Marshall