My point is that if they are digested in the stomach acid, then the
particles may be turned into salts in the stomach acid according to the
linked paper's opinion.  The capping agents would not protect it in this
case.  If the capping agents are not digested, then they continue to cover
the particles and result in low exposed surface area to interact with bugs.
 The same issue that occurs with silver proteins.

But of course these are all one of a billion hypotheses.  One could just as
easily say some particles get through the mucous membranes, etc.

David