 From: Asif Nathekar <asifnathe...@hotmail.com>
To: "silver-list@eskimo.com" <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: CS>new member intro

Each point addressed below

On 21 Mar 2013, at 19:34, Joe Huard <joe.hu...@primus.ca> wrote:

> Hi Asif,
> I already own a BK Precision 30 V DC Power Supply 1630. It will help with
> current limiting, so no need for a "current limiting diode" or IC.

Current limiting is in order of ma for most people that could be between 0.5 to
2 ma for large silver electrodes
Most bench type supplies usually aren't equipped for currents that Low at that
resolution. I am unaware of the specs of your psu so I have made assumptions.

> However, if I ever make one for someone else, I'll investigate that route. I
> assume from my rusty old electronics memory that you mean a zener diode. Is
> that correct?
Nope zeners are for voltage. You will need a specific current limiting diode.
I use an ic for that so cannot recommend one. The other members can advise.

> 1 ma per square in of what? One or 2 silver rods surface area?

Take the surface area of the side of silver you wish to use as your anode. And
then only use the side that will face the cathode . Otherwise known as the
brewing surface. As only the anode or positive side will be releasing the ions.
Take the measurement in square inches and use that to figure out your current.
Remember no more than 1ma per square inch

> The brewing vessel is what I need, with a good cover; looking for that.

Use a borosilicate vessel. Other types of glass or plastic may leach their
materials into the brew

> The double distilled water is news to me. I know what it is, but none of the
> sites that I was on mentioned it. They said Walmart distilled for $1.39 was
> good enough. I was not swayed by that, as I used to sell distillers since
> 1980, and I know distilled water in a plastic jug is not pure as it leaches
> the plastic. I could double distill my water as I have 4 used distiller
> sitting around my basement doing nothing. However, I will start with Reverse
> Osmosis water put into a distiller, and that will be identical.

Agreed RO water plus a single distillation should do the trick!

Let us know how you get on

> Joe
>
> On 21/03/2013 12:26 PM, asif nathekar wrote:
>> Hi Joe,
>> Please also look at the silver cell process.
>>
>> Many here have found that the simplest way is the best and if you use a
>> current limiting diode or current limiting ic costing around a dollar then
>> all you need is a 30 v or thereabouts supply and to keep the current to a
>> maximum of 1ma per square inch, the less the better but then it takes longer
>> to brew. And remember a lower current will ensure smaller particles / more
>> actual ions.
>> Also a low current will eliminate the need for stirring.
>> So please do not over think this.
>> More important is a good quality brewing vessel with a good cover and double
>> distilled water.
>> Even with the expensive machines they won't work without double distilled
>> water.
>> This doesn't need anymore engineering than current limiting.
>> Best of luck
>> Peace to all
>> Asif.

Archives: