Hi, Roger here. Hope you don't mind me jumping in? In years gone by I made all
my CS without the lamp base and it never failed. This said now that I'm using
the lamp unit I do find it makes the CS quicker. I've also found it help speed
up the making if I leave half and inch or so of the last brew in the brewing
jar. This helps kick start the process and saves time. I can easily make 6 or 7
8ozs bottles in a day and possibly more if I were to watch the unit continually
- usually I'm off doing other things.
As for using your cs as eye drops - not a problem. I never leave home without
keeping a spray bottle of cs in the car. Good for the hands after pushing a
shopping trolley around, to spray my eyes and a hundred and one other uses.

Hope this helps and best wishes with your brewing,

Roger B
NZ