Hi Bob,

We tried the Hanna spectrophotometer and it never worked for us.  We
returned it.  That's when we found the Hanna PWT meter worked quite well for
the purpose and was very repeatable.  Even though they only read the ionic
portion and a correction factor is applied to get the total amount of
silver, they do read accurately enough for any average persons needs.

We use three of them to average our results during calibration of the
generators we sell and they all read the about the same every time.  They
give true readings after the correction factor is known.  In our case, CS
made with our generators has always been 85% ionic and 15% colloidal as
measured with atomic absorption testing so we took the PWT readings and
applied the correction factor.  Of course someone using a different setup
than ours would measure only the ionic portion correctly but the point
is....it will be repeatable and since most LVDC is between 80 and 99% ionic,
the readings would not be off more than 1 to 20%.  My understanding is that
most LVDC CS made with constant voltage and 14 GA. wire is typically 90%
ionic so one would just multiply the reading on the PWT by 1.1 to get a
fairly accurate measurement.

This is the best and inexpensive method to test home made CS.  It allows one
to monitor their production and get repeatability with their process.  After
all that's what most people want...is to know what's going on in their
vessel from batch to batch.  It is especially useful if one is using the
constant voltage process because CS production isn't a linear process
compared to time as it is if one uses constant current control.  Since our
generators use constant current and are very repeatable and consistent over
any increment of time, the use of these meters isn't really necessary.
However we do sell a lot of them and they are good devices for the amount of
money they cost.  A couple of lab tests cost as much as the meter which will
test thousands of batches on one set of batteries.

Trem