Dear Dave,
Poinsettias are forced artificially to produce their coloured leaves in winter.
 They are meant to live only long enough to get them safely into the customers
hands - that's why it died suddenly.  You haven't got it in long daylight hours
- necessary to force the plant to think it is in a summer situation.  I never
handled poinsettias in winter - they were to chancy to sell before they became
naturally deciduous.

Not the fault of the silver - the fault lies in the method of plant production
and/or post grower handling before you bought it.
Judith.

  I gave my daughter some cs to use on her Christmas tree. She decided to put
some on her Poinsettia plant as well, which she watered with it and then
sprayed it on the leaves, after a very short while the leaves started to curl
and the plant died.
  Has any one else experienced this?
  Can anyone explain why this happens?