Hi again, thought that this might help everyone who is undecided, as this
article was published in the Lancet.  It seems that the medical profession
are wakingl up!  About time.

TRacy

> Interesting paper published in the Lancet.  Note the line: "No
associations were found with saturated fatty acids."

> So again we see more solid data linking BOTH mono and poly fatty acids
with plaque formation but NOT saturated fatty
> acids.  Note the association climbs as the number of double bonds
increases.

> 3 double bonds, Omega 3 = 0.93,
> 2 double bonds, Omega 6 = 0.75
> 1 double bond, Mono = 0.70
> 0 double bonds, Sat = 0.00
>
> The reason?  Sat fats can't be oxidized and mono and poly can be.  Again I
suggest you have a close look at the analysis
> I have done, especially at the Plaque formation index verus the amount of
double bond rich fatty acids in the various
> common food oils and fats.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=7934543&dopt=Abstract
> Lancet 1994 Oct 29;344(8931):1195-6 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut
> Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and composition of human aortic
plaques.
> Felton CV, Crook D, Davies MJ, Oliver MF.
> Wynn Institute for Metabolic Research, London, UK.
>
> How long-term dietary intake of essential fatty acids affects the
fatty-acid content of aortic plaques is not clear.

> We compared the fatty-acid composition of aortic plaques with that of
post-mortem serum and adipose tissue, in which
> essential fatty-acid content reflects dietary intake.
>
> Positive associations were found between serum and plaque omega 6 (r =
0.75) and omega 3 (r = 0.93) polyunsaturated
> fatty acids, and monounsaturates (r = 0.70), and also between adipose
tissue and plaque omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty
> acids (r = 0.89).
>
> No associations were found with saturated fatty acids.
>
> These findings imply a direct influence of dietary polyunsaturated fatty
acids on aortic plaque formation and suggest