Steve,

As I understand the passage of current in aqueous systems.

The passage of current is wholly dependent upon the movement of ions.
As ions have size and weight, they also have inertia and drag and
therefore will lag the application of potential and change in
polarity. Indeed, with the change in polarity the ions must slow down
and reverse their direction, therefore there will be a moment when no
current flows at all, then a build up in current as the ions reach
their terminal velocity. As this occurs for each change in polarity,
the amount of current that flows per unit time is necessarily less for
switching circuits than for non-switching circuits.

I dare say it is not the resistance that changes in your solution
(after all, the number of ions is the same) but rather the current,
and this is the reason you notice a changing voltage.

Regards
Ivan.