As an addendum to this indictment of Monsanto, consider their attempt to make
labeling of milk produced from cows shot up - OR NOT - with recombinant bovine
growth
hormone (rBGH) into a crime.  Their thrust was not merely to make it
unnecessary to
do so, but a criminal act for any seller of milk to,  however honestly,  claim
the
non-use of rBGH.
Whatever the effects of this hormone itself may be on humans - and it does show
up in
the milk of 'treated' cows, and has been traced by the usual radioactive
labeling
techniques though otherwise undectable by currently employed analytical methods
-
there's no question it affects the health of the cow, who has been pushed to
make an
additional 10% of milk.  Since dairying is a business with a narrow profit
margin and
a highly organized 'middleman' structure with many laws on the books regulating
and
supporting that structure, the herds are already highly stressed.  As a result,
it
becomes  necessary to employ antibiotics at an even higher constant preventative
basis, loading the milk and the environment with them.
The final ironic twist is that all this "improvement" in productivity has not
resulted in much additional profit for the dairyman, who has to micromanage his
herd
to forestall any signs of infection, cull animals sooner as they wear out under
the
productive stress, and buy the junk from monsanto, along with the antibiotics,
keep his business functioning.
Malcolm