This happened to me too, this Sunday, but it was a collection of porno
sites.  Closing the pop ups only triggered a reload and I couldn't get rid
of them and made the explorer browser unuseable.  Why they thought I'd vist
the sites instead of just being pissed about the invasion, I don't know.
 Anyhow, I installed the zone alarm firewall and haven't had any trouble
since.  And it lets me know when people are trying to get into my computer.
[several times an hour]
 Disabling Java gets rid of pop ups but also gets rid of the ability to
view some websites.
Ken