Ole Bob,
Thanks for the reassurance, and I do feel a little better about people
using the silver chloride candles.  But the calculation I did indicates
a little under 1.0 ppm per 100 mls. of cold drinking water, and not per
gallon.  I'm going to take some of the filtrate to local labs, testing
for presence of silver, and see what they come up with.

Also, I'm seeing that Microdyn saturated candles probably have a lot
more silver oxide in the filtered water than is the case with silver
chloride for filtrate of the new candles.  The silver chloride
solubility coef. is 0.89 x 10-5, versus, for silver oxide (of one form
or the other ?) 0.0013.  I need to check my numbers again, but even with
this much lower solubility coef., it appears the silver oxide in
filtrate was not detectable.  I think that what has spooked me is that
the coefficients actually permit the calculation, fixing on some tiny
number, even without the lab tests.
Reid

Ole Bob wrote:
  Personally,  I wouldn't hesitate to use that filter for a single
second.
 1 PPM at a gallon a day drinking water ain't diddly squat especially
diluted into what..6-8 quarts of body fluids? ..and there has to be some

sort of elimination rate even for AgCl.
 How much AgCl actually is absorbed into the blood stream from the
digestive tract...all of it,  or very little of it? [I dunno]
 But in this case for this purpose, the digestive tract is where it all
counts.
 Cooking water is boiled.
 Remove disk and go with getting the crud out to boil up clear but
dangerous water and save the disk for when it's needed for drinking
water.
 Plus, with some AgCl floating around  in the tummy with your meals, it
might just get anything that sneaks by even at 1/10 the killing power.
 That might come in handy where there is no refrigeration.
Ode

At 10:01 AM 11/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Reid Harvey wrote:
>
>> Ode,
>> Thanks for all this info.  I woke up struggling with the idea of
>> informing people on the methods of saturating AgCl ceramic water
>> purifiers.  It's incredibly simple to take a common, ceramic candle
>> filter, saturate with silver nitrate, then run water through it.
Then,