Hi Marshal:

Thanks for the link.

Actually, the conversation went like this:

Damian asked a question about nail growth, Steve answered first, then Peter
answered.... You can tell by the # of >>> in the email.

However, all that aside, I think you are right, but I don't think that the
fingernails are exclusively made up of these proteins.  As an example, the
amount of boron found in fingernails is 4X the amount found in the
bloodstream ( normal levels ).

Steve is pretty certain about the role of calcium carbonate, however:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/zoo00/zoo00265.htm

It's an interesting topic, and I've been looking into it a bit deeper.

We can see that toxic substances in the body often find their way out of the
body via the fingernails:

http://www.unu.edu/env/Arsenic/Nahid.pdf

Best Regards,

Jason