From: Marshall Dudley [mailto:mdud...@king-cart.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 9:49 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>leaching plastics

Where on earth would estrogen come from?  Polyethylene is made from a
catalytic reaction using pure ethylene gas and certain metals.  Pure
polyethylene is formed by this process.  Estrogen is a completely different
compound, with elements that are not even fund in ethylene.

However I have read that plasticizers can mimic estrogen if I remember
right. Perhaps you are talking about those. There should be no plasticizers
in hdpe, it has a transition temperature just over 200 F, and is thus
flexible without it.  But I do know that plasticizers have been known to be
added to hdpe, although they should not.  I suspect that it may be a case of
recycled plastic being added to the mix, and some non hdpe inadvertantly
being added that had plasticizers in it.  But I have no documentation on
that.

Marshall