I have what I consider to be a good air purifier from Sharper Image.  I don't
"smell" any ozone.
Recently, a friend gave me a larger (does the entire house) purifier.  It has
such a strong odor, neither my husband nor I can stand it, both of us ended up
coughing from it.  We stopped using it after a few uses.  I strongly suspect
the ozone levels aren't acceptable, but how to find out?

Sally
Garnet <garnetri...@earthlink.net> wrote:
Ozone is toxic to plants and animals, including humans. The toxic dose
is higher than most ozone generating air filters. But the problem is
that even at low concentrations it can be adsorbed by sheet rock and
concentrate there, where it can being to out gas and affect those in the
room. Some treatments involve removing plants, animals and people from
the rooms, these involve higher concentration of ozone and these are at
higher risk of adsorping into the sheet rock.

As well even in very low concentrations ozone can combine with other
chemicals and form more toxic compounds. It depends on what is in the
air you are breathing with the low concentrations of ozone.

The bottom line is that ozone is not a safe substance to play around
with if you do not know exactly what is in the air and the concentration
of ozone in that air.

This information is not widely acknowledged or even known. Most people
selling ozone generating machines or services just go by what the
manufacturers tell them. They do not have the technical training to
check it out for themselves. Nor do they even know it is something that
needs to be investigated.

Garnet