Hi all:

To help throw some balance on the issue, I'd like to make a few comments, and provide a few links.

There are those who experience permanent lung damage from ambient ozone. I believe that a sensitivity to pure, low concentration ozone is likely pretty rare, but it does exist.

I certainly don't want to argue with happy customers of Aranizer products. Alot of people are happy with their ambient ozone-generating air purifiers. However, I don't believe in using devices such as these for home air purification, and here's why:

If you take a standard plastic, and expose it to ozone, at first, the plastic is going to resist oxidation. Slowly, over a period of weeks and months, the plastic begins to degrade.

On one hand, these ozone people herald the benefits of breathing ozonated oils, and then on the other, they state that ozone renders all contaminants inert, deactivating by both oxidation and via ionization.

Well, which is it?  *smiles*

It takes just about two weeks of 5% ozone constantly bubbled through oil to completely oxidate it. While the ozone is reacting with the oil, literally burning it, it outgasses. The gas, comprised of a total of three primary peroxides, is breathed into the lungs.

The final compound, when the oil has been completely burned, is C10H13O3. Contrary to popular opinion, there is no ozone in this compound. There is no O3 bond, even though there are three molecules of oxygen. However, in ozonated OIL, O3 becomes trapped IN the oil.

Now, these peroxides that people breath contained stabilized oxygen, but no ozone. In fact, Nikola Tesla demonstrated great benefits to OZOL; however, he also only made his oil, or Glycozone, while subjecting his process to a magnetic field.

So, in this case, when one is using ozone to ozonate oils, the ozone doesn't degrade the substance right away, nor does the activated oxygen act via ionization to render the substance inert. It puts a gas in the air. In this case, the gas is quite beneficial.

No such luck with plastics.

As plastics degrade, the gas put into the air smells like some kind of petrochemical; it is NOT pleasant. You'd only know this if you had access to a high capacity ozone general and did experiments; pumping ozone through plastic over a period of time, and studying the effects.

Therefore, one really does not want any significant amount of ozone pumping through the air on an ongoing basis in an environment that is not clean, where people are going to be present, without significant air flow present to rapidly disperse the ozone.

http://www.cal-iaq.org/o3_fact.htm

There are alot of lawsuits out there pending regarding various ozone air purification devices, and I've reviewed reports from devestated parents who have used such devices, whose children have apparently experienced permanent lung damage from the use of such machines. While I cannot vouch for the authenticity of these claims, I doubt that the parents are simply money-grubbing people, or FDA plants.

I'm also very dissapointed in the so-called air purification companies. Ozone can be safely and effectively employed, yet I cannot find a device that absolutely does so.

For those who like to build their own devices and play with technology:

One would start with a thick carbon filter at the intake. The carbon acts as an ozone destructor, so that you don't start to damage your unit by sucking ozone right back into the unit. There are VERY few substances on planet Earth that are ozone resistant. Two of the most predominant substances are teflon and silicon.

The second inline filter should be a high quality particulate filter, such as a good HEPA filter. After the HEPA filter, the air should be pumped into an ozone resistant chamber, where the ozone generator should be active. Cold spark, UV, or plasma generators could be used. The longer the chamber space, the better. The ozone, having actually cleaned the air, is no longer needed. Run the ozonated air through a final carbon filter.

This will produce clean air.... Which is different than those who actually desire to UTILIZE ambient ozone for health purposes, which should be done only as a personal choice with proper understanding and personal experimentation...

How badly CAN ozone contaminate an environment?

This is not really known, and is environment-specific.

However, consider:

I took a standard plastic hose, and subjected it to 7% ozone for a long period of time. When the hose began to degrade, I set it aside for a few weeks.

Then, I took a gallon of distilled water, and measured its purity. This was distilled water that I made, measuring 0.3 on a Hanna PWT meter.

I took the hose, and attached it to an ozone generator, and pumped ozone into the water for 20 seconds. The purity reading went from 0.3 to about 180.0 in 20 seconds. For those who may not know, pure ozone will not effect the purity of water at all.

I haven't replicated this study under a controlled environment, but I will guarantee you that I did not drink that water. I already knew that the ozone was degrading the plastic.

I really don't want to "bash" ozone... To the contrary. I have quite a few ozone generators that I now own, and often use on a daily basis. I breath ambient ozone on a daily basis in a clean environment, and at a concentration that 100 aranizers couldn't produce; I do so for about 45 minutes, as I'm testing an ultrasonic ozone hydrotherapy spa, which I've modified for my own purpose by adding additional ozone to the setup.
Kind Regards,

Jason

From: "Connie Howard" <craehow...@juno.com>

Sharon...

Do you think that your Ozone machine would work in my basement? My house
is 100 years old and has gone through a lot of moisture being dumped
under the house; that couple with Racoons, cats, skunks, etc the smell
coming from the basement is not very good.  My house is 850 sq ft with a
partial basement below half of it.  The other part is crawal space.  If
it would would I need a certain model to handle that space?

Connie,

It sounds like you have a real challenge. I have to say that I honestly have no idea if the Aranizer would work in your situation, unfortunately. May I suggest that you put "Aranizer" into google, and see if there is a phone number on their website. They sell several different models for different size areas, for example.

My best "guess" is that it would make a difference, but you don't want to buy this expensive machine based on this layman's guesswork!

I wish you success in dealing with your basement

Sharon