> You think N-A-C (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) would be useful?

NAC would be useful as a glutathione precursor, but there are a
couple of strong reasons that it's used in emergency situations and
not as a daily supplement.

First, although NAC does increase cysteine delivery to the cells it's
treated as a toxin by the body. Complexing toxic cysteine with acetic
acid as a carrier does not render it non-toxic. That's why at decent
doses, in adults 500 mg per dose, it does produce some toxic effects
and doctors who promote antioxidant use decided the trade-off wasn't
worth using it as a daily supplement.

Second, it has a very short half-life in the system, so dosing is
frequent, on the order of every four hours, in order to avoid
plummeting glutathione levels in between doses. This can be a
disaster in an acute situation and also in an infection situation, as
low glutathione actually stimulates infection.

> I heard that is a cystine containing compound, and at
> one time, it was purported to be helpful to those with
> emphysema, but then that was retracted because they
> couldn't agree on whether it really reduced mucous or
> not.

Glutathione delivered as a mist is OK for lungs, but because
antioxidant depletion is a systemic condition I mentioned precursors
first that would address it as such. The cold-processed whey and
selenium is also the least expensive route, even if you also add the
other antioxidants.

> I guess I can look into the selenium and vitamins.
> She already takes a daily multivitamin, with fair
> amounts of common vitamins and minerals. It's not
> flintstones vitamins or some garbage like that, and it
> has no artificial anything in it. But I don't remember
> if it has selenium.
>
> I've used Omega 6 Borage oil before for gum
> inflammation and I know that stuff works for
> inflammation. Do you think that would be useful?

Personally, I don't recommend omega-6 oils for anything as they
generally promote inflammation and supplementation is usually
superfluous anyway. It's omega-3 oils that are usually in short
supply in the diet.

> Part of the problem to is that it is hard to get her
> to take some medicines consistently. She can't figure
> out how to swallow capsules yet, and thay would be so
> helpful if she would, because so many of the herbs,
> vitamins, etc, are just plain nasty tasting, and often
> are not concealable.

Cold-processed whey makes a nice drink a lot like a milkshake.

Duncan