I removed a big 20 year old hardened cyst as big as the top of my thumb formed around a bit of gravel obtained in a road rash encounter this way: [Also works on boils]

I had a doc 'look' at it once. $87 for a 2 second glance and $400+ to remove it? [that's 1978 dollars too! ..over a months pay.] Not a chance!
I told that blood sucker that I'd cut it out myself first and that's just what I did.
PS, I didn't pay him. [I 'would' have paid him maybe $5 or $10]

A cyst is an encapsulation and isolation of a foreign substance. It's the bodies way of stabilizing an area. It would be rare for one to go away on it's own even after many years
Techinque was passed on to me by a Nam vet who learned it from the locals. He removed a boil from my back this way in the early 70s. It did quite well and didn't hurt but just a little bit...and then, only for a few minutes.

1] Apply a hot wet washcloth to cyst to soften the area.
2]Take a narrow neck bottle that will fit over the cyst and drop in a small piece of alchohol soaked cotton.
3] Apply mineral oil or olive oil to the area on and around the cyst to make a good seal for step 4
4] Light the cotton and snuff the flame out by quickly applying the bottle neck to the skin so it surrounds the cyst. Heat rises..do that with the bottle held vertically, but if you don't, the flame goes out so fast that it won't "burn" anything..might get a little hot for a second.
5] Hold the bottle there for several minutes.

What this does is create a strong vacccum that pulls the cyst to the surface and softens the contents.
A tall shot glass works too but I prefer a small bottle...more volume for a better vaccuum over a smaller area.

For really hard cysts it might take a few daily sessions to prepare the area. When it's soft and bulgy, it's ready.
It's called "cupping"
There may be some minor bruising in the area afterwards.

6] "I" then held an ice cube against the spot for a few minutes to numb the skin...then slashed the bulge with a new razor blade and emptied the contents by squeezing and again applying the bottle till everything came out.

7] Remove the 'bag' that surrounded the contents with tweezers. [Takes a little probing but it doesn't 'hurt'..much.]

Now, this as before I ever heard of CS.
Today, I would flush out the hole with CS using a syringe without [or with] a needle and cover it for several hours with a piece of paper towel kept soaked with CS...or a gauze bandage kept soaked with CS

Regardless, it all healed up in a few days without incident or any significant scarring. I did miss a little piece of the 'bag', but it worked its way out after a while.

Ode