What stunned me was that mrs. bush said repeatedly, the blood could be frozen
for up to 10 years.  At first, I thought what I heard was wrong, or that it was
a mistake, until it was repeated several times.  Here is some little publicized
info as to what happened with the sea of blood collected for most of the
victims who would never need it because they were already dead.    And Red
Cross knew they had no process by which to  preserve the blood when they called
for the donations.
In the end, the excess  was  BURNED.

This article is dated Nov, 2001.  Excerpts.

The charitable outpouring offered an opportunity for the $2.5 billion-a-year
organization to restock its depleted blood inventory. Although the Red Cross
told the public that surplus blood would be frozen, it did not have the
resources to freeze large amounts of excess blood, according to documents and
interviews
"Fresh blood donated Sept. 11 reached the end of its shelf life Oct. 23. Blood
donated Sept. 30 will hit its expiration date today. When blood becomes
outdated, it is useless and must be burned. "At my center," a Red Cross
director said, "we have all of this surplus blood that is only now starting to
outdate. We don't have the supplies to freeze it. There's no place to ship it.
What do they think is going to happen? We can't create a need for it that isn't
there."

  Reference.

additional excerpts.
Experts say it takes time, manpower and equipment to gear up for a major
freezing program. "You just don't decide to freeze 100,000 units of blood,"
said Celso Bianco, a physician and executive vice president of America's Blood
Centers. "You need to have a good plan and time and money. It's very
labor-intensive."
  Gilcher, in Oklahoma City, said the Red Cross was "irresponsible in the
message that was 'given' to the American people by saying 'donate blood and
money' and implying that the American Red Cross would freeze that blood."
  The Red Cross declined to disclose how much of the extra hundreds of
thousands of pints collected since Sept. 11 were frozen. An inventory that one
Red Cross director saw showed that about 8,000 units of blood had been frozen
between Sept. 11 and mid-October, which suggests that large-scale freezing had
not happened by that time.
  Kubina disputed that account, saying "8,000 is wrong," but would not offer
specifics. She said "some blood" collected just after Sept. 11 has been frozen,
but acknowledged that most of the proposed reserve would come from donations
being made now and later.
  The Red Cross approached the FDA on Sept. 14 for approval of procedures for
freezing and thawing a large reserve, which it proposed keeping at six sites.
State-of-the-art technology enables frozen blood to be used for up to 14 days
after thawing. The thawing method the Red Cross cleared with the FDA on Oct. 1
requires thawed blood to be used within 24 hours, which poses a greater
challenge in moving blood from scattered stockpiles to a disaster spot.

"Mark S. Siepak" <bro...@gtcinternet.com> wrote: " The Red Cross via Mrs Bush
was telling people to donate vast
amounts of blood, would it be badly needed.  What was said was that it
could be frozen.  Immediately called a doctor friend to verify that some
new blood process was not on the market."

Actually, I believe the plasma (serum, or liquid part of blood with blood
cells and maybe platelets filtered out) can be frozen up to a year. So not
some vampiric feast, as intimated...

There exists a law, not written down...but inborn in our hearts;
a law which comes to us...from nature itself...
not from theory but from practice, not by instruction
but by natural intuition.
I refer to the law which lays it down that, if our lives are endangered...
any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.
-  Cicero

Mark S Siepak