50% is stronger than I myself can tolerate. I keep the DMSO to about 10 % to 20%. You didn't say what the concentration of your DMSO is, so I will answer on the assumption that it is 99% DMSO.

The itch is from histamine release which DMSO causes. I actually use it for that in any area where I feel hives or eczema starting. After a few repeated applications in the same day, the histamine of the skin cells is exhausted and the itch doesn't happen (and in my case a fullblown hives or eczema can't happen). At least that iswhat I have read, and that is how it works for me.

The higher the percentage of DMSO (which is oily sort of) in the DMSO/CS mix, the longer it takes to absorb into the skin.

So, you didn't do anything wrong. You just had perhaps unrealistic expectations. BTW, not everyone gets the DMSO "taste" or body odor. I get it very strongly which is yet another reason I keep the concentration very low. But my husband does not experience it at all. Lucky dog.
sol

Marshall Dudley wrote:

I just found, and bought a bottle of DMSO from the health food store.  I mixed
it with 50% 20 ppm CS (and it got warm as expected), and put some on a sholder
joint that has been giving me trouble.  I was expecting to taste it within
seconds. However, I never tasted anything. I tried smelling it, and it does
have a slight order, but not strong like I had expected.  Anyway, after
applying it to the skin, I was expecting it to be absorbed, like water on a
sponge. But instead it seems to simply have formed an oily layer on the skin.
Now after about 5 minutes, it is starting to itch.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this, or what I might be doing wrong?